Thursday, June 12, 2008

10 Years & Counting...

So I just hit my 10 year anniversary at Intermountain Health Care. I actually started in March, 1998. This is the picture they took for the IHC Selections... our work newsletter. I can't believe how fast time has gone by.

IHC was actually a hard place to get hired on with. I had three interviews before I was hired on as a claims processor in March of 2008. At the time, my supervisor's name was Sue... who actually still works there and I still see all the time! I worked on the 13th floor of the Beneficial Life Tower. I hated to drive down town, but I knew it was only temporary since they were building a new building 1.5 miles away from my house! A year later, the next April we moved to our new office building. I LOVED my commute! It's been the same commute for the last 9 years!

IHC has been a wonderful place to work. I was a claims processor for the first 7 years. After processing for 18 months, Nate was born and I moved to part time. When Nate was 10 months old, I was able to work from home if I would return to full time. I worked from home for 3 and a half years until we moved to a new processing system and all home processors were called back into the office. About a year later, I transferred to LDS hospital to be a patient care tech while I was going to nursing school. 6 months of a difficult graveyard schedule convinced me that I wasn't ready for the clinical side of IHC. So, after a 6 week landing in AR management, I was able to move back to Health Plans, back to my comfort job of processing. Soon after, my life was going to take a major turn. I soon found myself a single mom that needed a slower paced, steady income job. So after working on Piece Rate for 8 years, I took a position as a claims examiner, and 9 months later, became claims floor trainer. I guess what I'm trying to say, is a good job is one that allows you to grow as a person, yet supports you during the difficult times.

After working all those years, as a processor, listening to my headphones, working a very flexible schedule, I moved to the busiest job ever. I am now on Salary, and I have attended more meetings in the last few months than I have the last 10 years!! It's such a job switch for me, but a good one. I meet people, talk to people. Attend meetings. Develop trainings, write documentation, Present trainings, and try to create process improvements. I feel like I accomplish things at work, and my contributions make a difference.

Although I would have loved to be a stay at home mom, or around more for my husband and son, accomplish more around the house, yada, yada...I am greatful for the job that I have. They have always been understanding when I needed time off for maternity leave, or when I needed personal time for my divorce. I am especially greatful for the friends that I have made there. I actually feel loved when I go to work every day.

0 comments: